How to Minimize Eczema Symptoms & OutbreaksOct 16, 2020
Eczema (dermatitis) is a term for various rash-related conditions where a person’s skin becomes inflamed, red and irritated. The most difficult and enduring type of eczema is atopic dermatitis, which features flare-ups that can be widespread or limited to only a few areas on the body.
Eczema is not contagious, but your risk of getting it goes up if the disease runs in your family history. Atopic dermatitis usually affects infants or young children and may last until adulthood.
5 Common Symptoms of Eczema
The appearance and symptoms of atopic dermatitis vary for each case. Common symptoms of eczema include:
- Severe itching, which can lead to extreme discomfort and sleep deprivation
- Dry, red and extremely itchy skin patches
- Cracked, swollen and scaly skin
- Small bumps or sores that leak
- For infants, rashes usually appear on the face, specifically the cheeks and around the mouth
6 Ways to Minimize Eczema Symptoms & Outbreaks
Eczema flare-ups are provoked by an overreaction of your skin’s immune system to environmental and emotional triggers. These triggers can include:
Unfortunately, there’s no cure for eczema. However, there are self-care options you can do at home to help decrease flare-ups. These treatments can reduce inflammation, lower the risk of infection and relieve the itching. Take these steps to care for your eczema at home:
- Moisturize every day to prevent dryness and cracking
- Limit contact with irritants, such as soaps, clothing, jewelry, foods, and detergents
- Avoid sudden changes in temperatures because overheating and sweating are common triggers of outbreaks
- Decrease stress and anxiety when possible
- Reduce exposure to mold, pollens and animal dander
- Choose loose-fitting cotton clothing and avoid wool and other rugged materials
Treatment for eczema begins with a proper diagnosis from your dermatologist. If you’re diagnosed with eczema, your dermatologist can explain your type of eczema and create a custom treatment plan that meets your personal needs to effectively control the symptoms.
About Center for Dermatology in Lakeville, Minnesota
The dermatology professionals at the Center for Dermatology are pleased to welcome you to our practice. We provide medical, surgical and cosmetic dermatology services in Lakeville, MN. We know how hectic life can be and are committed to making our practice convenient and accessible.
We want you to feel confident that when you choose the Center for Dermatology, you’re working with health care professionals who are qualified, experienced and caring. We invite you to schedule an appointment for your eczema or any other skin check. We look forward to meeting you!