Protecting Your Skin From Poison Ivy, Oak, and SumacJun 30, 2022
Minnesota summers can’t be beat! The weather is beautiful and the scenery is gorgeous. People want to make the most of it by spending as much time outdoors making fun memories and getting important projects completed. But there is a drawback to being in nature—potential rashes and skin irritation from plants.
Preventing Rashes From Poison Ivy, Oak, and Sumac
Poison Ivy, Oak, and Sumac can all cause skin problems ranging from mild irritation to a severe rash that leads to infection. Obviously, these are problems we want to avoid. Whether you’re planning a walk through nature or doing some landscaping or yard work, here are precautions you can take to protect your skin:
1) Wear gloves or use heavy shopping bags or plastic bags to handle or pull plants.
2) Wear long-sleeved shirts and pants when spending the day in heavily-wooded areas.
3) Wash your hands and body thoroughly after spending the day outside.
How to Treat Rashes From Poison Ivy, Oak, and Sumac
The American Association of Dermatology has thorough tips for how to handle rashes, especially if you’re having severe symptoms (go to the emergency room ASAP!). Some of the basics for handling a mild rash at home include:
- Washing your skin and clothes as soon as possible.
- Avoid scratching irritated skin or picking at blisters.
- Treat irritated skin with over-the-counter ointments like calamine lotion or hydrocortisone cream. You can also apply a cold compress to the area if necessary.
- Take over-the-counter antihistamines if necessary.
If a week goes by and you still haven’t gotten any relief, then it’s a good idea to see a dermatologist. Please contact us if you have any questions related to a rash or other skin issue!
About Center for Dermatology in Lakeville, Minnesota
The dermatology professionals at the Center for Dermatology are pleased to welcome you to our practice. We provide medical, surgical, and cosmetic dermatology services in Lakeville, MN. We know how hectic life can be and are committed to making our practice convenient and accessible.
We want you to feel confident that when you choose the Center for Dermatology, you’re working with health care professionals who are qualified, experienced, and caring. We invite you to schedule an appointment for your next skin checkup. We look forward to meeting you!