What To Know Before Your Cosmetic Dermatology TreatmentFeb 14, 2019
Cosmetic dermatology can be a great way to treat yourself, especially with effective options like laser hair removal and micropens. On the other hand, sometimes cosmetic procedures help improve medical conditions like acne and excessive sweating.
Whether you just want to refresh yourself before a date or you need relief from uncomfortable skin blemishes, cosmetic procedures can be very helpful. If you’re still considering an appointment or you’ve already scheduled your first treatment, there are some things you should know to prepare for it.
9 Steps To Prepare For Your Cosmetic Dermatology Procedure
1) No matter what the procedure is, avoid exposing your skin to the sun. Avoid sun exposure for 2 weeks before your treatment. Use a broad-spectrum UVA/UVB sunblock of SPF 30 or higher. If possible, cover the area to avoid direct sun exposure.
2) If you are having laser hair removal, be sure to completely shave the area you want treated prior to the procedure. Do not wax or tweeze. You should also make sure your skin is clean of any deodorants, lotion, makeup or moisturizers.
3) Do not use self-tanning agents for 48 hours before to your treatment.
4) The procedure should not be performed on sunburned skin. Our clinic will refuse to do a cosmetic procedure on sunburned skin.
5) Do not have facial hair waxed within 7 days before a facial treatment.
6) Do not use any retinoids such as Retin-A, Differin or Tazorac for 48 hours prior to each treatment.
7) Avoid using clay masks, scrubs or additional exfoliating agents for 48 hours before your treatment.
8) Do not undergo a procedure if you have had a breakout of cold sores, fever blisters or herpes anywhere on the face before your treatment.
9) For 10-14 days leading up to your procedure, do not take non-steroidal medications or anti-inflammatory medications. These include Motrin, Advil, Aleve and aspirin.
Great! You’re now ready to walk into our clinic and get your cosmetic treatment. But hold on, there are some things you should know about what to do after your appointment.
7 Steps For Self-Care After Your Cosmetic Dermatology Procedure
1) Avoid direct sun exposure for 48 hours after your procedure. Start using sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher immediately after procedures and make it a part of your daily skincare routine.
2) Do not use any aggressive exfoliation, waxing or products containing glycolic acids or retinols for 48 hours after treatments unless approved by your doctor.
3) After a treatment, you may experience temporary discomfort, itching, swelling, redness, tightness, dryness or crusting. These are normal reactions that typically go away within 72 hours. It all depends on your skin sensitivity.
4) If you received a treatment with take-home products and/or instructions, be sure to use them as directed.
5) If the treatment was for laser hair removal, do not shave the treated area for 3 days after your treatment.
6) If the treatment was for a vascular condition, avoid things that can increase your heart rate such as exercise for 48 hours after treatment. During that same timeframe, also avoid things that may dilate your vessels such as hot beverages, spicy foods, alcohol, and washing your face with hot water.
7) If you are concerned with blistering or infections, call your doctor as soon as possible.
About Center for Dermatology in Lakeville, Minnesota
The dermatology professionals at the Center for Dermatology are pleased to welcome you to our practice. We provide medical, surgical and cosmetic dermatology services in Lakeville, MN. We know how hectic life can be and are committed to making our practice convenient and accessible.
We want you to feel confident that when you choose the Center for Dermatology, you’re working with health care professionals who are qualified, experienced and caring. We invite you to schedule an appointment for your annual skin check. We look forward to meeting you!